Homepage

Home > Lizard

Introduction
The distinctive twin towers of Lizard Lighthouse mark the most Southerly point of mainland Britain. It was commissioned in 1752. For over 250 years, the Lighthouse has provided a welcoming landfall light to vessels crossing the Atlantic ocean.

Location
The Lighthouse is signposted from Lizard village on the A3083 from Helston.

Click here to view a map.

Parking
National Trust car park next to entrance gate.

Opening Times
Due to refurbishment the Lizard Visitor Centre will not open in 2004.
It is planned that the Visitor Centre will re-open in 2005.

Contact Details
(01326) 290065

Specifications

Established 1619
Height of Tower 19 metres
Height of Light above Mean High Water 70 metres
Automation Scheduled for 1998
Electrified 1924
Optic 1 KW metal halide
LAMP 400 WattMBI
Character One white flash every 3 seconds
Intensity 800,000 candela
Range of Light 26 sea miles
Fog Signal Character 1 blast every 30 seconds
  Tours of Lizard Lighthouse are organised by The Trevithick Trust under licence from the Corporation of Trinity House.

Click for bigger picture

Click for bigger picture

Click for bigger picture